Control System Design
When it comes to your control system design requirements, it’s important to look at the big picture, focusing on specific automation challenges and developing solutions to optimize your overall control processes. We partner with you and take a holistic design approach to understanding the nature of your control processes and how your present control system is designed. We review your long- and short-term automation system objectives and criteria. As an example, if you have an underperforming electrical system design, it can have a negative impact on your automation system reliability. We can help you identify ways an updated or new control system design can successfully deliver increased reliability to your process, as well as improve system efficiency and productivity moving forward. Our approach also confirms existing control system diagrams (including P&IDs, loop sheets, etc.) to verify that they are accurate representations of the actual processes and systems. This detailed information is then used as the basis to design a new system.
Overall, MAVERICK provides full scope electrical, instrumentation and automation design of integrated control systems, including distributed control systems (DCS) and programmable logic controller (PLC)-based systems. As a platform-independent automation solutions provider, we offer expertise in various third-party hardware to find a fit-for-purpose solution for your process and business needs. We also serve as a main automation contractor (MAC) utilizing MAVERICK best design practices for project-based execution from instrument specifications to all the normal electrical deliverables (e.g., single lines, power panel board schedules, conduit schedules, contractor specs, etc). In addition, we work with multiple CAD systems and use the AutoDesk Vault to manage and archive drawings. We also leverage our Project Complete methodology to ensure we meet your objectives on time and on budget.
MAVERICK offers the following design services:
We will design a control system hardware solution around your standards, preferred equipment suppliers and document formats.
- Control system design – all DCS and PLC platforms
- System architecture and network communications
- PLC and DCS migrations
- Control panel fabrication design
Our team will design your facility’s electrical power distribution system to optimize safety, reliability, efficiency and control integration.
- Electrical power distribution design (i.e., entire facility from utility demarcation point through utilization equipment)
- Medium and low voltage
- Electrical distribution equipment specifications (e.g., switchgear, panelboards, transformers, MCCs, cabling)
- Electrical and control room layout design
- UPS specification and design
- Power system studies (e.g., Short Circuit, Coordination, Load Flow, Arc Flash)
Instrumentation is specified to allow optimization using advanced process control (APC). We’ll specify and design instrumentation to optimize your process for safety, efficiency and reliability.
- Instrument specification & spec sheets
- Loop sheets
- P&ID detailing & as-builts (I&C aspects)
MAVERICK’s design team closely coordinates with our field services team or your contractor for installation, commissioning and startup services.
- Electrical contractor specifications
- Contractor scope of work
- Close coordination with MAVERICK’s field services team